Mount Anville Secondary School

CSPE

What is CSPE? A subject overview.

CSPE is a Junior Certificate course in active citizenship based on human rights & social responsibilities. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights & the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child are the two key documents which underpin this course.


Civic, Social and Political Education is about students, as members of a local community, as citizens of Ireland, Europe and the World. CSPE wants to help students in becoming citizens who know their rights & responsibilities. At the end of the course, students should know about things like law, democracy, the environment, the local community, development of society, the dignity of being human, how everyone worldwide depends on each other in some way.

We encourage students to learn to think independently and to foster an atmosphere of respect & tolerance to value diversity. We encourage students to be responsible for their actions towards other people and society.

Students complete an Action Project in 2nd/3rd year, and in 3rd year they complete a written report on one of these projects. This report will be examined as part of the Junior Cert CSPE assessment, and is worth 60% of the final grade in CSPE. The written examination at the end of the course accounts for the remaining 40% .

Aims & objectives

  • Our overall aim is that our students carry with them the skills required to become active & responsible citizens.
  • Students will be encouraged to recognise values and develop positive attitudes in relation to themselves & the communities & world around them.
  • Pupils will be given opportunities to reflect upon & recognise the beliefs and values which underlie their attitudes and actions as individuals and as members of groups & communities.

Key Concepts
Students will study the following 7 concepts across the 3 years :

  1. Rights and responsibilities
  2. Human Dignity
  3. Stewardship
  4. Development
  5. Democracy
  6. Law
  7. Interdependence

Timetabling

Students will have CSPE for one 40 minute period per week in 1st, 2nd & 3rd year.

Mount Anville Secondary School
Principal: Ms. Caffrey
Deputy Principal: Ms. Kelly

Mount Anville Road, Dublin 14, D14 A8P3, Ireland

RCN: 20145095
Students Office
01 283 2373

Finance, Facilities & Operations
01 283 2373

© 2022 Mount Anville Secondary School